NEWTON, NJ—The Newton High School wrestling team, entered the tournament as the third seeded team and edged out sixth seed Lakeland 34-30 on Monday, on Newton’s home turf.
Chants and cheers erupted saying “send her in” for 106 lb. Newton wrestler Aaliyah Payne-Parris in the beginning of the match, but cheers and clapping could be heard throughout as each newton wrestler stepped onto the mat.
Although Payne-Parris lost by pin, seven Braves were victorious and advanced the team from the quarterfinal round. The results of all the matches are as follows.
- 106 lbs. Joe Ribitzki (L) pinned Payne-Parris (N) in 0:22
- 113 lbs. Dan Stocker (L) pinned Valerio Sanchez (N) in 2:50
- 120 lbs. Danny Cleary (N) pinned Rob Danza (L) in 3:48
- 126 lbs. Nathan Fitt (N) won by an unseen forfeit by Lakeland, since their weight class wrestler did not make weight for the match
- 132 lbs. Thaylor Sibblies (N) won with a 7-0 decision over David Hammerlee (L)
- 138 lbs. Takeo Sibblies (N) won with a 10-2 major decision over Adrien Fesaro (L)
- 145 lbs. JoJo Lotruglio (N) pinner Tyler Mursch (L) in 1:27
- 152 lbs. Kenny Langenmayr (L) won with a 6-2 decision over Nick Costa (N)
- 160 lbs. Stephen Pierce (L) won with a 5-3 decision over David Hook (N)
- 170 lbs. Billy Barna (L) won with an 8-1 decision over Melkart Abou-Jaoude (N)
- 182 lbs. Kevin Lacouture (L) pinned Trevor Aughenbaugh (N) in 0:37
- 195 lbs. Julian Sibblies (N) pinned Dom Schinina (L) in 1:07
- 220 lbs. Jabari Oxley (N) won over Umar FNU (L) in a 7-1 decision
- 285 lbs. Chuck Jenkins (L) won with a 5-0 decision over Isaiah Wilkins (N)
The Braves move on to the semifinal round of the tournament, which will take place on Wednesday, February 12 away at second-seeded Westwood’s venue beginning at 6 p.m.