NEWTON, NJ—The Newton Wrestling team had two wrestlers place second and one wrestler place third, in the 58th annual John Goles Tournament, on Monday, Dec. 28.
Tyler Pittenger (285) and John Borgognoni (152) placed second, while Nick Giordano (138) took third place in the tournament.
Pittenger went 4-2, scoring 20 team points.
- 1st Place Match - Alex Kaltenhauser of West Morris Central 6-4 won 3-2 in overtime over Pittenger
- Semifinal - Pittenger won by 2-0 decision over Taylan Zafis of Warren Hills
- Quarterfinal - Pittenger won by fall over Bobby Mount of Scotch Plains
- Champ. Round 1 - Pittenger received a bye
Borgognoni went 2-1, scoring 21 team points.
- 1st Place Match - Marco Gaita of West Morris Central 7-2 won by 6-0 decision over Borgognoni
- Semifinal - Borgognoni won by major decision 9-0 over Chase Bauberger of Delaware Valley 2-1
- Quarterfinal - Borgognoni won by fall over Kirk Ianni of Edison 1-5
- Champ. Round 1 - Borgognoni received a bye.
Giordano went 5-3, scoring 16 team points.
- 3rd Place Match - Giordano won by fall over Cole Marra of North Hunterdon 5-4
- Cons. Semi - Giordano won by 3-2 decision over Connor Mills of Delaware Valley 1-2
- Cons. Round 3 - Giordano won by fall over Logan Schneider of Millburn 1-3
- Cons. Round 2 - Giordano received a bye
- Quarterfinal - Nicholas Peterson of Edison 4-3 won by an 11-6 decision over Giordano
- Champ. Round 1 - Giordano received a bye
Five other Newton wrestlers had success at the meet.
- Matt Rosa (106) placed sixth (1-2) and scored two team points.
- Cons. Round 3 - Rosa won by 7-2 decision over Michael Fleck of Scotch Plains
- Wyatt McCarthy (132) placed sixth (7-2) and scored five team points.
- Cons. Round 2 McCarthy won by fall over Johnny Cruz of Plainfield 0-3
- Cons. Round 3 - McCarthy won by 13-1 major decision over Tucker Kirchberger of North Hunterdon 3-4
- Jake Deluca (145) placed sixth (3-4) and scored six team points.
- Quarterfinal - DeLuca won by fall over Skyler Frye of Plainfield
- Joey DeLuca (182) placed sixth (2-4) and scored four team points.
- Cons. Round 3 - DeLuca won by fall over Dean Escobar of Edison 0-3
- Nick Zaremski (220) placed sixth (1-5).