NEWTON, NJ—The cast of Newton High School presents “the rousing tale of Jack Kelly, a charismatic newsboy and leader of a band of teenaged ‘newsies’ in the show based on the 1992 motion picture and inspired by a true story. When titans of publishing raise distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack rallies newsies from across the city to strike against the unfair conditions and fight for what's right.
Newsies is directed by Brendan Scullin, with Music Director Ashley Foster and Pit Conductor, Steve O’Toole, along with Kimberly Jackson as the choreographer.
The main cast members are:
- Imad Balatero(Senior) - Jack
- “I’ve been doing these shows for four years and every show brings its own swagger to it. This show was different though because everyone, myself included, wanted to be here and each person in the cast brought a different energy.”
- Ryan Penny(sophomore)-Romeo
- Allyson McDonnell(Senior)-Splasher
- Kevin O’Gorman(junior)- Davey
- “This is my second show at NHS and since I have come into this program I have been really accepted into this family and it feels good to know that all these people would have my back whenever I needed it, even though some I have just met. We work really well together and our energy is always up, especially when we’re performing on stage. Now it is time to perform!”
- Greg Nappa(senior)-Race
- Carolyn Granholm(junior)-Crutchie
- Emily Kurnides(senior)-Finch
- Illera-Marsena Mecaj(freshman)-Les
- “This is my first show and it has been one of the best shows I have been a part of. I have never seen such a dedicated cast and you can see how important the show is to everyone and it makes me so happy.”
- Emily Valentino(junior)-Specs
- Natalie Yost(senior)-Katherine
- “This cast is a really great cast in particular, every single person wants to be here and every single person cares about what we’re doing. It is really fun and a really good show to be my last show at Newton.”
- Zach Halteman(freshman)- Pulitzer
- “This is my first ever Newton show and it is quite the good first show to have. I have met some really fantastic people and going into tech week and the performance I know that this is such a special show because we’re all really close, since day one, and now that we have done this for two to three months we have really grown as not only a cast but as a family.”
The cast members of Newsies hit the road for a preview tour of their show on Friday, March 15.
10:00 - Perform at Florence M. Burd School
11:00 - Perform at Long Pond School
12:00 - Lunch at Bella Italia
1:00 - Visit ThorLabs to express thanks for their generous donation of $5,000 to the program.
1:30 - Perform at Merriam Avenue School
In addition to cast members, stage managers, Brooke Freund and Celia Reynolds, were present in order to manage sound equipment and production in each setting.
According to the teachers, the staff and students from all three schools that were visited “expressed their excitement and enjoyment for having had the opportunity to see this preview.”
One teacher from Merriam Avenue School expressed that she was ‘amazed.’ and ‘such a big fan!’ The cast and crew look forward to hosting students from Halsted Middle School and Green Hills School on Thursday, March 21 on the NHS stage.
Opening night of the show is Friday, March 22 beginning at 7:30 p.m. Performances will be throughout the weekend; Saturday, March 23 at 7:30 p.m. and then Sunday, March 24 beginning at 2:00 p.m.
Ticket information can be found at https://nhs.booktix.com/ and Box Office Hours are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 6-8:30pm at NHS Auditorium Lobby. Reserved seating is $10 per ticket.