NEWTON, NJ—The Newton Town Council has updated the towing ordinance, amending the charges for towing at their October 28. Additionally, the 10-year water capital budget plan and one on the 10-year sewer capital budget plan
In attendance were all council members as well as clerk Lorraine Reed and Town Manager Thomas S Russo Jr.
There was one public hearing and second reading of Ordinance 2019-10. This is an ordinance amending Chapter 289 “Towing” of the code of the town of Newton to amend section 289-4.A “Rates for Towing Services” to include a comprehensive schedule of services.
The ordinance states that section 289-4.A will be deleted and replaced with the following:
- The rates for all towing and towing-related services shall be as set forth in the New Jersey State Police Schedule of Services approved by the Attorney General and implemented by the New Jersey State Police, as shall be amended. A current listing of rates is attached hereto and shall be maintained, as amended, by the Chief of Police of his designee, and towing companies operating within the Town of Newton.
- Road Service: Cars (Light) $125/hour plus parts & trucks (medium/heavy) $175/hour plus parts
- Towing-basic: light duty (up to 10,000 lbs.) hook up $150, medium duty (10,001-16,000 lbs.) $250/ hour, heavy duty (16,001 and above) $500/hour, and decoupling fee (if tow is not performed) 50 percent of the basic rate.
- On-hook mileage: light duty $6 per loaded miles, medium and heavy-duty are N/A
- Recovery/winching (in addition to towing-per truck including driver): light/medium duty (10,001-16,000 lbs.) $350/hour charged in ½ hour increments of $175. Per ½ hour & heavy duty (16,001 and above) $600/hour.
- Specialized recovery equipment: rotator/crane recovery unit $1,200/hour, tractor with landoll trailer or detach trailer $450/hour, tractor/transport hauler only $250/hour, refrigerated trailer w/tractor $450/hour, box trailer w/tractor $400/hour, air cushion unit $1,000/hour, light tower $250/hour, pallet jack $200 flat rate, rollers $200 flat rate, any other specialized equipment $250/hour, loader/backhoe/telescopic handler/bulldozer/bobcat $300/hour each, forklift $300/hour, and dump truck/dump trailer w/ tractor $350/hour.
Ordinances were introduced:
Ordinance 2019-12: a fully funded water sewer capital improvement ordinance in the amount of $40,000 for acquisition of Water Sewer Utility Truck in the Town of Newton, County of Sussex, New Jersey.
Ordinance 2019-13: Ordinance appropriating $50,000 from Capital Fund Balance for the 2011 Recreation Trail Grant Program Project in and by the Town of Newton, in the County of Sussex, New Jersey.
Ordinance 2019-13 is referring to the installation of the pedestrian bridge along the Sussex Branch Trail, including permitting, necessary trail improvements and other related work and costs. The town has been approved for the grant in 2013 by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection in the amount of $24,000 and upon receipt the proceeds of the grant will be applied to reimburse the general capital fund balance.
The next Town Council meeting will be Wednesday, November 13. This was moved from Monday, November 11 in observance of Veteran’s Day. The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. in the Municipal Building.