NEWTON, NJ - Petitions for town council candidates are due to the municipal clerk by the end of the day on Monday, August 31. Two seats will be on the ballot. They are currently held by Deputy Mayor Daniel Flynn and Councilwoman Helen LeFois.
So far two teams of candidates have announced their candidacy: incumbent Helen LeFois and Michelle Lozier-Teets. The other team is Teddy Sibblies and Scott Lurker.
- September 19 – Mail in ballots will begin to be mailed.
- October 13 – Last day to register to vote for general election. Registration form must be postmarked or received by the board of elections on this date.
- October 20 – deadline for filing appointments or applications for challengers
- October 27 – last day to apply by mail for a mail in ballot for general election
- October 31 – Sussex County Clerk’s office will be open from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. for in person mail-in ballot applications
- November 2 – last day to apply in person for a mail-in ballot before 3 p.m. in the Sussex County Clerk’s office in Newton
- November 3 – Election day, polls will be open from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m.
Governor Murphy recently signed election related legislation, codifying the mail-in ballot election for the general election as well as options for bypassing the post office and allowing people to bring their mail-in ballots to the polling places or additional drop boxes.