NEWTON, NJ—Surrounded by family, friends and fellow scouts, Newton High School senior Brendon Thomas Read was awarded the rank of Eagle Scout in the St. Joseph’s community center.
According to his biography in the Court of Honor Program, Read was not originally interested in the scouting program when he was younger. After being convinced by one of his current assistant scout masters, James Cunningham, Read decided to join and started with Den 4 of Pack 181.
Read crossed over into the Boy Scouts on February 23, 2013, and joined Boy Scout Troop 85 which was under the leadership of Scoutmaster Jeff Haines. Read was very active within the group and held many leadership positions such as:
- Assistant patrol leader
- Assistant senior patrol leader
- Troop guide
Throughout his time in the scouts, Read visited other parts of the country through trips. He was able to go hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and white water rafting on the Black River in Watertown, New York. He also toured Baltimore, the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Fort McHenry, Jamestown and Yorktown, as well as attend the West Point Military Camporee and the NJ Police Camporee.
In order to obtain the rank of Eagle Scout, Read had to come up with a project to do. He chose to build a 6 by 16-foot deck on the outside of the Newton First Aid Squad building, which began in October 2018 and completed in May 2019. Read raised $1,000 for the project.
After the project was completed, Read finished his merit badges and paperwork and passed his Board of review on June 20. 2019. Read credits the scouting program and Troop 85 with giving him the ability to lead others and be successful in challenges that he may face in the future.
The court of honor ceremony included presentations from a number of troop and community members:
- Presentation of colors. Pledge of Allegiance & Flag Ceremony, Scout Oath and Scout Law, presented by Life Scout & Senior Patrol Leader- EJ Flynn and Troop 85 Scouts
- Opening Invocation by Father ST of St. Joseph’s Church,
- Master of Ceremony- Jeff Haines
- Convening of the Court of Honor
- The Eagle Rank Criteria was read by Life Scout Patrick McNulty
- Voice of the Eagle was done by Eagle Scout Kevin Kapuscinski Troop 81 and Troop 85 Scouts
- Scout Biography was read by Life Scout Tyler Hermes
- The Eagle Scout Oath, Scout Oath and Presentation of the Eagle Scout Award by Assistant Scoutmaster James Cunningham
- The Eagle Scout Charge done by Eagle Scout Glen Bell
- Presentation from Troop 85 Scouts by Eagle Scout and assistant scoutmaster Thomas Glowatski
- Presentations by guests, which included Helen LeFois and Sandra Diglio, who read the proclamation from the Town Council, NFAS Captain John Paul Couce, and St. Joseph’s Knights of Columbus.
- Eagle Scout Minute- where Read thanked a few of the people who helped him through his journey
- Closing benediction- also done by Father ST
- Retiring of the colors
Once the colors were retired, guests in attendance were invited to partake in a lunch, which was already set up in the back of the community center.