NEWTON, NJ—The Town of Newton is taking precautions due to concerns about COVID-19.
The following events have been canceled or postponed to a later date.
- Easter Fun Night on April 3 has been canceled
- Easter Egg Hunt on April 4 has been canceled
- Newton High School Musical- Matilda- postponed until further notice
- Newton High School Senior Luncheon- postponed until further notice
- Newton’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade has been canceled
- The Newton Theatre has suspended all shows from now until April 3
- All sporting events through the school have been canceled until further notice
As of early this morning the Newton Public Schools announced that they would be closing from March 16 until March 27.
According to an announcement from New Jersey Chief Justice Stuart Rabner and Hon. Glenn Grant on March 14, Municipal Courts will been suspended beginning Monday, March 16 through Friday, March 27 in an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19. Anyone who is scheduled to appear before a Municipal Court to contest a traffic or parking ticket or minor local ordinance violation should wait for notice of a new court date.
Some of the courts' business will continue including calendars where a defendant has been detained, probable cause determination, applications for temporary restraining orders, Extreme Risk Protective Orders and search warrants as well as matters that implicate public safety. Those people required to appear in court between March 16 and March 27 will be specifically notified of their requirement to appear, according to the announcement.
During those two weeks, Municipal Courts will remain open with fillings and payments continued to be accepted, except where the municipality has closed the court building. People scheduled to appear should check njcourts.gov for updated information. The online payment system at NJMCDirecto.com will continue to accept payment to Municipal Courts.
News of the impact of COVID-19 coronavirus will continue to be updated on TAPinto Newton. Please report your organization or business' cancelations to email@example.com.