NEWTON, NJ—The Newton High School football team is ready for the 2019 season with eight new players .
“With the graduation of 12 fantastic seniors from the 2018 team," Head Coach Matt Parzero said. "The 2019 team will lean on the six seniors on the roster and a hard working junior class for leadership. The coaching staff is looking for improvement each practice."
This is Parzero's fourth year as Newton’s head coach. The teams’ record while under the coaching of Parzero has been 30-4, with last years’ record ending at 10-2.
The key returning varsity players for this years’ Newton Football team include:
- Peyton Nolan; Junior. Running Back/Defensive Back
- Aaron Fantasia Junior. Running Back/Defensive Back
- Jabari Oxley; Junior. Offensive Lineman/Defensive Line
- Jacob Tonking; Junior. Offensive Lineman/Defensive Line
- Dylan Bailey; Junior. Split End/Line Back
The newcomers for the upcoming 2019 season include four seniors, three juniors, and one sophomore.
- Julian Sibblies Senior. Running Back/Defensive End
- Derek Campbell Senior. Center/Line Back
- John Kruesch Senior. Offensive Lineman/Defensive Line
- Jaheim Shannon Senior. Split End/Defensive Back
- Jack Young Sophomore. Quarter Back/Defensive Back
- Ryan Pappas Junior. Athlete/Defensive Back
- Shane Nannery Junior. Offensive Lineman/Line Back
- Jesus Blanco-Chavez Junior. Offensive Lineman/Line Back
Nolan, Fantasia and Tonking, according to coach Parzero, are being recruited to play in college as all three are juniors this year.
The 12 key performers lost to graduation from the 2018 team include:
- Ryan Kaiser
- Nick Brigante
- Michael Freda
- Kevin Lupo
- Gabe Hatem
- Tyler Miller
- Jimmy Harding
- Matt Somers
- Justin Mayhood
- Cullen Orabone
- Joseph Gubernard
- Chris Polyak
Newton will kick off their season on Friday, September 6 with a home game against Lenape Valley. The game will start at 7 p.m. on Newton’s turf field.