NEWTON, NJ—The Newton High School girls soccer team will begin its 2019-2020 season optimistic, despite losing four of its starters, including its goalkeeper Briana Galeos and three forwards.
“We are a young team in a rebuilding year and are looking to battle for the division championship this year and make long runs into the HWS and State tournaments,” Head Coach Jake Mull said.
Mull has coached the team for the past 28 years. Last years’ record was 9-10 overall and 5-5 in the Freedom Division.
There are 12 returning varsity players which include:
- Grace Young, senior, defender and returning as captain
- Jessie Brannick, senior, defender
- Olivia Buckley, senior, midfielder
- Jocelyn Mull, senior, midfielder
- Lanie Scuralli, senior, defender
- Blaise Vallorosi, senior, defender
- Emily Brothman, senior, defender
- Olivia Kaiser, senior, midfielder
- Ali Lynch, senior, defender
- Erin Smith, senior, midfielder
- Morgan Medunick, junior, defender
- Taylor Squiers, sophomore, midfielder
The four significant losses to the returning roster include Galeos as well as DavisAnn Boyd, Kaitlyn Lynch, and Nina Matullo.
The Newton Braves girls soccer team will start their season with its first official game against Lenape Valley High School. The game will take place at Lenape Valley’s field on Tuesday, September 3 at 4 p.m.