A North Penn High School chemistry teacher and boys’ water polo assistant coach has been charged with one count of misdemeanor corruption of minors by Towamencin Township Police for allegedly sending about 100 messages via Snapchat – some sexual in nature – to a then 17-year-old female student between mid-July and mid-August 2013.

Todd Christopher Gibson, 29, of the 800 block of Gettysburg Drive, Lansdale, was charged Sept. 10 by police, according to an affidavit. Gibson, a 2003 North Penn graduate, who graduated in 2008 from Gannon University in Erie, Pa., was hired by the district Aug. 26, 2008.

Gibson waived his Sept. 16 preliminary hearing on Thursday. A formal arraignment in Montgomery County court is set for Oct. 22, per court records. Gibson is free on $5,000 unsecured bail. He is being represented by attorney Michael Drossner of Norristown.

Sign Up for E-News

On June 11, 2014, North Penn High School administrators requested police respond to the school regarding allegations involving Gibson, police said. Upon meeting with officials, police learned Gibson had been allegedly using Snapchat to send lewd photos of himself to the student, police said.

A teacher at the school reported to administrators that a female student disclosed that Gibson allegedly sent her lewd photos, according to the affidavit. The teacher told police the student talked about Gibson’s alleged actions during a classroom discussion, including his alleged use of Snapchat to communicate, police said.

Police interviewed the student, who told them Gibson allegedly contacted her using the Snapchat account “tcpolo5,” per the affidavit. About 100 messages were exchanged between the alleged victim and Gibson, police said.

From mid-July to Aug. 10, 2013, Gibson allegedly sent pictures of his face and body via Snapchat, while also writing text, in order to initiate a conversation, police said. The student told police the messages started out very friendly, with Gibson just saying hello, police said.

Then, the communications progressed to Gibson allegedly asking the student what she was wearing, and asking her to come over to his house, police said. The student told Gibson that he would get caught, and Gibson allegedly responded that he did not care, according to the affidavit.

From Aug. 11 to Aug. 12, 2013, Gibson allegedly sent sexually explicit Snapchat messages to the student, police said. These photos included Gibson undr3essing and in various states of nudity. He also allegedly sent a photo of his genitals to the student, police said.

Around Aug. 17, 2013, the student began to get annoyed with Gibson allegedly messaging her on Snapchat, so she told him that someone had found out about their alleged communications, police said.

Gibson allegedly told the girl that they had to stop messaging via Snapchat and that they should delete each other and pretend the whole thing never happened, according to the affidavit.

All in all, about 100 messages were exchanged, with most of them asking the alleged victim to come to Gibson’s home, police said, which was about five minutes away from the alleged victim’s home.

The girl took a screenshot of a Snapchat message from Gibson, and Gibson was later notified by the application that a screenshot was taken, police said. Gibson immediately told the girl to delete the screenshot, which she did, police said. Gibson then allegedly asked to text instead of using Snapchat.

Police obtained a search warrant for all Snapchat records between the alleged victim and Gibson, and Snapchat provided records on June 23, 2014, police said. Police confirmed “tcpolo5” was Gibson, and records confirmed that 17 Snapchat communications were exchanged between Aug. 10 and Aug. 12, the period during which the alleged lewd messages and pictures were sent, police said.

On July 31, 2014, police were granted a search warrant for Gibson’s home. Gibson’s phones, laptop and tablet computer were seized and taken for forensic analysis, police said.

Gibson provided a statement in which he allegedly admitted sending a photo of his penis to the girl in August 2013, police said.