A Towamencin man is facing theft and receiving stolen property charges after he allegedly stole his friend's iPhone and later sold it on Craigslist.

Philip Peter Sheridan, 22, of the 400 block of Continental Drive, allegedly stole his female friend's $800 iPhone and sold it online, where the buyer reported to Hilltown Township Police that Apple notified him that the phone was stolen, police said.

On Aug. 27, at 7:41 p.m., Hilltown Township Police contacted Towamencin Township Police about the reported theft.

Sign Up for E-News

The alleged victim, police said, responded to an ad on Craigslist seeking $250 for the purchase of an iPhone.

The buyer met Sheridan at 3:15 p.m. Aug. 27 at Walgreens on Forty Foot Road in Towamencin, police said, where they exchanged money and Sheridan allegedly handed over the iPhone.
After returning home, the alleged victim attempted to log into iTunes to setup the phone, but he received a message that the phone was reported stolen, police said.

He went to Hilltown Township Police to report the incident, describing Sheridan as a white male in his 20s, 5 feet 10 inches tall, with brown hair and brown eyes, police said. Sheridan reportedly arrived to the location on a bike, wearing a black tank top and cargo pants, police said.

Video surveillance at Walgreens showed Sheridan walking through the front doors at 3:02 p.m., and again at 3:05 p.m. buying water, police said.

Telford Police called Towamencin Township Police to inform them the stolen iPhone belonged to a resident, who reported it missing two weeks prior, police said.

Towamencin officers contacted Sheridan and left a voicemail. On Aug. 29, at 2:45 a.m., Sheridan returned the call, and asked officers to meet him at his home, police said.

Detectives asked Sheridan where he got the phone, per an affidavit, and he told them he found it on the sidewalk outside a friend's home on Aug. 17. Sheridan told police he was at a party on Aug. 16, where he did not know anyone, except for his friend.

He told police he spent the night, and found the phone when he walked outside, per the affidavit. Sheridan said he asked neighbors and party attendees who owned the phone, but no one knew who owned it, police said. So, Sheridan decided to take it.

He told police he put the phone in his desk, and forgot about it. When he retrieved it, he found the battery had died, police said. So, he sold it.

The owner of the iPhone told police she works with Sheridan at Applebee's. She told police she and Sheridan attended the party, and Sheridan was still there when she noticed her phone missing, according to the affidavit.

She asked everyone where her phone was, but everyone, including Sheridan, said they did not know, police allege.

The phone, she told police, was never found, and she then drove Sheridan home the morning after.