PLAINFIELD, NJ -- After years of neglect, the historic Lampkin Farmhouse (850 Terrill Road, Plainfield), was torn down today by the city of Plainfield.
Since 2008 when its owner, Mrs. Terrill, died, the abandoned home on Terrill Road (near the intersection of Chetwood Terrace) had fallen into disrepair. According to Historic House Blog, the home dated back to the early 1700s, and its kitchen the kitchen featured "a spectacular open hearth fireplace & beehive oven."
The home was considered "a rare surviving example of the architecture of the earliest period of residential building in New Jersey," according to Preservation New Jersey, which in 2010 listed the home as one of its 10 most endangered historic sites.
The Lampkin House’s occupants were directly involved in the Revolutionary War. The earliest traceable owner of the Lampkin House was Jesse Dolbeer, who owned the property from 1796 until his death in 1832. Between 1776 and 1781, Dolbeer fought in the Revolutionary War in battles including Woodbridge, Short Hills, Connecticut Farms and Quibbletown. - Preservation New Jersey
To learn more about the Lampkin Farmhouse and its owner, Jesse Dolbeer, who fought in the Revolutionary War, click here.