SOMERVILLE, NJ – Michael and Amy Streko were indicted on charges of second degree custodial interference in the abduction of their eight year-old son Everett Streko. The indictment was handed down on Wednesday, August 25th, in the Somerset County Superior Court.

Everett Streko’s Grandmother who resides in Green Brook is the boy’s custodial guardian. Everett Streko’s grandmother reported him missing from her residence located on Kings Court, Green Brook Township on the morning of July 17th. The grandmother noticed that her daughter-in-law Amy Streko who is Everett’s biological mother and was also living at the King Court residence, was missing along with Everett and all of the child’s personal belongings.   Michael Streko allegedly told a neighbor at his Neptune City residence that he was going on a cross country trip in his RV.

Amy and Mike Streko were arrested a week later in Port Jarvis New York. Mike Streko was arrested after a tip of a suspicious person soliciting drugs from children.

Sign Up for E-News

According to Port Jarvis Police on July 24, 2015, at approximately 5:30 pm, an alert citizen contacted Port Jervis City Police Headquarters and reported a suspicious male subject was walking in the area of Ball Street and Pennsylvania Avenue asking children for “drugs”. The caller advised police that the subject was operating an RV that was parked near-by on Pennsylvania Avenue. Port Jarvis Police Officers were dispatched to the area and located Michael Streko, age 34, of Neptune City, New Jersey, operating the motor home on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Port Jarvis Police interviewed Mr. Streko and his wife, Amy Streko, age 32, of Neptune City, New Jersey and learned that both subjects were wanted for the felony crime of Custodial Interference in the Second Degree based upon the issuance of an arrest warrant from the Green Brook Township Municipal Court on July 17, 2015. Officers took the subjects into custody and charged them with being Fugitives from Justice for allegedly unlawfully removing their 8 year child from the child’s residence where he lived with his Grandmother.

Port Jervis City Police located Everett Streko who was safe and unharmed inside the Motor Home. The child was transported to Port Jervis Police headquarters where he was reunited with his Grandmother at PJPD Headquarters. 

According to Somerset County Prosecutor Geoffrey D. Soriano, the investigation into the Streko case has revealed that upon departing from New Jersey, the defendants travelled north and ultimately arrived in the Port Jervis area.  The defendants along with the child stayed at various locations near and around the Delaware River/Port Jervis locations which included Goose Rock.  The defendants were planning to travel to the state of Maine with no indication of returning back to New Jersey with the child.

Prosecutor Soriano commends the alert citizen in Port Jervis City that reported the suspicious male, along with the Port Jervis police officers who responded and ultimately identified and arrested defendants Michael and Amy Streko.

Prosecutor Soriano stated that the safe recovery of the missing child could not have been accomplished without the direct collaboration and assistance of numerous law enforcement agencies that were involved in the investigation which included, the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office Child Abduction Response Team, the Green Brook Township Police Department, the New Jersey State Police Missing Persons Unit, the Federal Bureau of Investigation - Franklin Township Field Office, the Port Jervis City Police Department, the Neptune City Police Department, and the New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency.