NORTH PLAINFIELD, NJ - Michelle Aquino, Ed.D. Superintendent of Schools provided an update to the North Plainfield school community on Friday regarding food distribution, end of year announcements, and reminders. The Board of Education approved a revised last day of school at its meeting this week. The last day of school will be June 17, 2020 for students. The date of graduation will remain as scheduled for June 22, 2020.
I hope that this letter finds you and your loved ones well. I am enthusiastic to report that we have enhanced opportunities for students in the district to access breakfast and lunch. In addition, I have other updates to share.
● Food Distribution:
○ A fourth location has been added for students to pick up meals. Beginning May 27th,
Somerset School will be open for food distribution. Lunch and the next day’s breakfast may be picked up between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm each school day at the front door located on Somerset Street.
○ Our other three food distribution locations continue to remain open for lunch/breakfast pick up: Middle School (gym foyer), East End School (side driveway cafeteria door) and West End School (rear cafeteria door). Like Somerset School, Maschio’s distributes lunch/breakfast at these locations between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm each school day.
○ All students in our school district can access the food distributed at any location regardless of their home school.
○ Please follow the social distancing guidelines set forth by the CDC for food pick up including wearing a face covering when visiting any of our meal distribution locations.
● During these difficult and unprecedented times, we understand that many families are facing difficulty. The North Plainfield School District is committed to helping our families however we can. I ask that you take the time to complete a brief survey if you are having a hardship in gaining access to the food distribution sites. This information will help us to better assist our families. You may access this survey via https://tinyurl.com/yd3bcftd.
● During the May 20th Board of Education meeting, a revised 2019-2020 school calendar was approved. It moves the last day of school to June 17, 2020 for students. The date of graduation will remain as scheduled for June 22, 2020. These changes are due to our three unused emergency closing days. This revised calendar is posted on our website and may be viewed on our Parents & Community page.
● I want to remind you to complete the 2020 Census. Our response as a community impacts the amount of money we receive from the federal government over the next decade for social services, SNAP, children’s health insurance, disaster response, and infrastructure, among other essential items. The Census Bureau is required by law to protect any submitted information and is not permitted to publicly release responses. Please complete the census by visiting https://my2020census.gov/. These videos further explain the census: English Version and versión en español.
As we continue to plan, please be assured we will keep you updated. Please stay safe and I hope you are able to enjoy this long weekend.