WATCHUNG, NJ - The Watchung Board of Education at Thursday’s meeting accepted the resignation of board member Mallory Morales effective immediately.
It is anticipated that this vacancy will be filled by an appointment made by the remaining members of the Board at the first regularly scheduled meeting on October.
The process for filling a vacancy differs from a typical school board election. Historically, the person appointed by the Board will take the oath of office and become a full member of the Board at that same meeting at which the interviews are held and will continue to serve in that position through the next reorganization meeting in January 2021.
In order to be considered for this appointment, any interested party must submit a resume and cover letter that outlines the reasons for wanting to be on the Board and the qualifications for being selected.
Qualifications (appointment and election)
Each member of any board of education shall, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1:
● Be a United States citizen;
● Be a resident of the district for at least one year at the time of election or appointment;
● Be able to read and write;
● Be a registered voter in the district where the person is submitting the nomination petition (or being
● Not be disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1;
● Not have been convicted of any of the crimes or offenses enumerated in N.J.S.A. 18A;12-1 or
conspiracy to commit or attempt to commit any of said crimes;
● Not be the mayor or a member of the governing body of the municipality; or
● Not have a direct or indirect contract with or claim against the board.
Additional information can be obtained from the New Jersey School Boards Association at https://www.njsba.org/about/membership/school-board-candidacy/