Dear Watchung Hills Regional High School Community,
On March 8, 2016, you will be asked to vote on a referendum to replace the turf field at Watchung Hills Regional High School. I would like to take this opportunity to provide you with information on the upcoming referendum.
First and foremost, the decision to replace the field is not arbitrary - it is necessary to ensure the safety of all Watchung Hills students and community organizations that utilize the field. Regardless of whether the referendum passes or is defeated, the Watchung Hills Regional High School District must and will replace the turf field utilizing capital reserve funds for emergency maintenance such as this. By passing the referendum for the field, the State of New Jersey will reimburse the Watchung Hills Regional High School District up to 40% of the cost of the project. This savings will go back into capital reserve for future emergencies without burdening taxpayers in the future. The Board of Education and our architect are currently investigating alternative materials to serve as fill for the new turf field to further ensure the safety of all who utilize the field.
I need to reiterate that this bond referendum has no impact financially on taxpayers. An affirmative vote will save the district up to 40% of the total cost of the project. The Board expects to fund the remaining local share (approximately 60%) of the project using our own capital reserve funds. For additional information, please visit our web site at www.whrhs.org. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our School Business Administrator, Timothy Stys, at 908-647-4800, ext. 4850, or my office at 908-647-4800, ext. 4890.
Thank you for your attention to this significant financial issue impacting the Watchung Hills Regional High School District.
Elizabeth C. Jewett
Watchung Hills Regional High School District
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer. Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor.