NORTH SALEM, N.Y.-Hearts carved into the wooden posts of an entrance hall at Finch Farm in 1853 by James Finch in honor of his new bride, Maria Vail, will be preserved into perpetuity now that the Town Board has designated the property a historic landmark.
The Historic Preservation Commission recommended the farm at 186 Vail Lane receive the distinction at the board’s meeting on Jan. 9 after more than a year of research.
The designation covers the main house and an original well on the south side of the property along with a 30-foot perimeter on the sides and rear of the house.
The home, built by Thomas Vail, features on its 26 acres a colonial farmhouse, a restored barn dating to the 18th century and a guest cottage built circa the 1900s. Additions were made in 1853, 1929 and 2005.
• To read more from this story in the newspaper, please request a FREE subscription to North Salem News by clicking on the following link: http://www.halstonmedia.com/requestors/nsn_requestor.pdf