NUTLEY, NJ- Significances of safety and well-being during times of natural and man-made disasters are issues tackled in the book “Fire in Our Lives” by author David Wilson.  Those topics were also discussed Thursday, September 20, during a Book Talk and Autograph Signing at the Nutley Public Library.
 
It’s a cyclopedic book on advices and experiences taken from Wilson’s 40-year career in public safety, emphasizing on fire safety and severe weather.
 
“Most people here know my story as I grew up in town, spent eight years with the rescue squad then 25 years in the fire department – both great places to learn and network with people,” Wilson explained.  “I took all that information and all the stories from 40 years and put it into a book.  I want to educate people, prevent injuries and save some more lives.”
 
Sign Up for E-News

Wilson, an experienced EMT, certified fire inspector and sub code official, is an awardee by Nutley Jaycees, Nutley Rotary, Knights of Columbus, NJ Citizens Alliance for Fire Safety, American Legion, VFW, American Red Cross, Nutley Emergency and Rescue Squad, H&R Block, Nutley Board of Commissioners, and New Jersey State Legislature.
 
“I’d like to thank Anthony Buccino who was very helpful as he did some of the editing and I credit him with helping to get my ideas and stories out of my head and into a readable book,” said Wilson.  “Joey Bee was my technical advisor and did a lot of the editing.”
 
In the book, Wilson presents viable viewpoints and insights that counsel readers with an in-depth knowledge and wisdom when dealing with calamities.
 
“Parents have many distractions in their home life, so the skills for burn avoidance must be taught at an early age directly to the children and then be reinforced by the schools and family,” Wilson said.


 
In many cases, parents can indirectly play a primary role in these injuries.
 
“The spilling of hot beverages, glorifying candles, letting children light their cigarettes, leaving matches and lighters in easy reach, improper use of pool chemicals, not establishing a ‘no zone’ around grills and stoves, allowing lawnmower and tractor play, and just being careless on leaving hot items within reach of small children are just a few of the practices I have seen happen.”
 
Published by New York City-based Page Publishing, Wilson’s discourse covers a wide array of possible circumstances that aid in preparing individuals with facing the challenges of first-aid treatment, prevention, and consistency in keeping everything safe and sound.

Readers can purchase “Fire in Our Lives” at bookstores everywhere, or online at the Apple iTunes store, Amazon, Google Play, or Barnes and Noble.