FAIRFIELD, NJ — When a bleeding and soaking wet individual rang a doorbell on Long Acres Road over the weekend requesting to use a phone, the resident alerted the Fairfield Police Department to the area. The suspicious call led to the arrest of Chad Camel, 35, on a variety of heroin-related charges and other violations of the Controlled Dangerous Substance Act.

According to police, responding officers Sean McCormack and James High, Jr. located Camel, a resident of Hacketstown, on Cole Road, where they discovered that his hands were bleeding, the bottoms of his pant legs were wet, he was profusely sweating and he had constricted pupils consistent with someone being under the influence. The officers reported that as they investigated further, they also discovered a broken hypodermic syringe and a bag of crack cocaine.

Camel was placed under arrest on charges that included possession of heroin, possession of heroin with intent to distribute and possession of heroin with intent to distribute within a school zone among other violations.

Sign Up for E-News

“This is just another example of the police and the community working together to assure the safety of the public,” said Fairfield Police Chief Anthony Manna. “Had it not been for the actions of our alert residents by calling our department and reporting the suspicious activity, this individual would have possibly gone undetected and would have been left to roam around the neighborhood.”

After Camel was transported to headquarters, officers found additional contraband in his possession, according to police, including a total of 110 bags of suspected heroin that weighed approximately 1.09 ounces; three bags of suspected crack cocaine; five Adderall tablets; and seven Xanax tablets.

According to police, further investigation also revealed that Camel had outstanding arrest warrants issued by the Roxbury and Springfield Municipal Courts. He was eventually transported to the Essex County Correction Facility in Newark.

The photo of Chad Camel seen above was provided by the Fairfield Police Department.