MORRISTOWN, N.J.- What started as a tradition among friends in Australia to use mustaches to spark conversations about men’s health, has quickly caught on here in the U.S. For men who are interested in getting Movember ready, Joanna Pereira, the lead stylist at 18|8 Fine Men’s Salon in Morristown, shares her top tips on how to grow a mustache/beard by November.
- For even hair growth, start with a clean shave, this means no goatee
- Shampoo and condition facial hair, treat it as hair on your head
- Use beard balm or oil to keep hair soft, manageable, and conditioned
- Once the beard gets long, blow dry before cutting for even cut/distribution
- Clean and brush daily, invest in a travel beard brush
- In December, if you choose to go back to the clean shave, go to an expert for the shave. Your hair is fully grown at this stage, so trust an expert to remove the facial hair carefully
Joanna Klubek Pereira is the salon manager and lead stylist. With more than a decade of industry experience, Joanna is known for her expansive experience in hair cutting, men’s color correcting and barbering. Joanna specializes in precision cutting where she puts her artistic vision and impeccable attention to detail to create a personalized look for her clients. Her credentials include extensive hands-on styling technique. Joanna also continues to improve upon her skills by attending educational seminars, works with elite educators, and stays up-to-date on the latest trends. Joanna resides in Northern New Jersey with her husband Daniel and their dog Missy. While mastering her craft behind the chair, she is also completing her Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration at Ramapo College. In her spare time, you’ll find her giving back to the community and spending time with her family.