PLAINFIELD, NJ - Enjoy this simple and easy dessert with all the crunchy, 'mapley' goodness of a summer's day in Vermont.
To give the recipe an autumn twist, use pears or apples for the fruit, and substitute ground ginger for the cinnamon.
- 4 or 5 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces
- 1 quart of ripe strawberries, capped and cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces (or other ripe, fresh summer fruits or berries)
- 1.5 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of softened butter
- Combine the fruit. If there is a lot of extra juice, stir in a few tablespoons of rolled oats into the fruit to absorb the juice. Place in an 8 x 12 pan.
- Mix the crumble ingredients.
- Spread the crumble across the top of the fruit.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
Allow dish to cool and serve with vanilla ice cream.