NUTLEY, NJ - The Police Blotter is compiled each week by Det. Sgt. Anthony Montanari of the Crime Intelligence Public Information Division of the Nutley Police Department.

Please note:  All parties placed under arrest have been assigned a court date and remain innocent until proven guilty of those charges at their respective hearing

Anyone who has information regarding any crimes can send a (non-emergent) Tip Anonymously by texting CRIMES starting message with NPDTIP or log into and search Nutley

Sign Up for E-News

Police have received a number of complaints regarding phone fraud involving PSEG. Police Chief Strumolo urges residents to contact PSEG directly if anyone representing to be from there are seeking payment.

If you sell any item/s on the internet, DO NOT accept a check for more than the item was agreed to be sold.  DO NOT deposit checks that have instructions to send a portion of that check to another location.  The checks are fraudulent and you WILL lose money from your account.


Fraud – A resident fell victim to a scam involving an unknown party claiming to be a US Service member.  They said that they were contacted several months ago via Facebook and struck up an ongoing exchange which would last until now.  The victim observed a deposit for $2,300 that was deposited into their account.  The actor advised that he placed the money into the account and in exchange wanted the victim to purchase $2,300 in google Play and iTunes gift cards.  Shortly after the incident the bank’s fraud department stated that someone had deposited a fraudulent check onto the account for $1,200, and the accounts were then frozen.    Information was given for the Identity Theft Victim database, which the victim declined at this time.


Motor Vehicle Stop – East Passaic Avenue -  A motor vehicle stop was initiated which resulted in the arrest of Mr. Roberto Pineda, 42, of Bloomfield for an active warrant out of Bloomfield.  He was transported to Headquarters without incident and Bloomfield Police were contacted.  Nutley Officers issued two traffic summonses and he was then turned over to two Bloomfield Police Officers who arrived to assume custody.  

Theft – Washington Avenue – Headquarters received a report of a theft.  The victim stated that they left their black leather wallet on a cement parking stop while there fixing their vehicle.  When they went back to the area to retrieve it, the wallet was gone.  While attempting to cancel their credit cards, they were alerted that two transactions were made on their Debit card. 


Criminal Mischief – Franklin Avenue -  Officers responded to the area regarding a report of criminal mischief.  The caller stated that when they returned to their place of business they found damage to the rear glass door of the building.  The caller was informed of how to obtain a copy of their report and to contact Headquarters should they need any further assistance.  No further information.

Property Damage – New Street -  Dispatch directed patrol along with fire to a call regarding a tree limb down.  Upon arrival, it was observed that a tree limb was resting on the wires connecting two homes.  PSEG responded, removed the tree limb, and made the necessary repairs to the wires.  Parks Department was contacted and advised of the limb that needed to be removed from the property.

Fraud – The victim of a scam reported the incident to Police.  They stated that they received a call from the IRS stating they owed $2500 and was instructed by the IRS agent, “Alan Smith,” to purchase several Goggle Play Cards (5), put $500 on each - totaling $2500, and to give him the pin numbers. Afterwards, the victim realized it was a scam and reported it to their financial institution in addition to Police.

Property Damage – Warren Street – Officers responded to a call regarding property damage resulting in injury.  Upon arrival the victim told Police that while they were collecting their laundry a piece of the ceiling fell and struck them in the head.  At the time, they were bent over in front of the washing machine when a large piece of heavy ceiling material fell and struck them.  The victim declined medical attention at the time of the report.  The laundry room was locked to avoid anyone else from being hurt until the proper repairs could be made.  Nothing further at this time.