NUTLEY, NJ - Boy Scouts, Wolves, Bears, and Lions all joined forces on Saturday to go 'Scouting for Food' to benefit the Nutley Family Service Bureau. The annual food drive was the most successful to date.
Donations of food were collected in grocery bags that were left on every doorstep in town. Those donations were picked up by scouts on Saturday morning.
At the same time, groups of scouts worked the entrances and exits of the Nutley Park ShopRite to collect cereal, shelf stable milk, tuna, canned beans, and peanut butter to restock the shelves of the Nutley Family Service Bureau pantry.
Scouting for Hunger by the numbers (so far):
- over 80 Scout families participated in the event
- over $300 cash was collected at ShopRite
- over 60 volunteers were on-site at the Nutley Family Service Bureau annex on Chestnut Street
- volunteers from Nutley Scout Troops, NHS Key Club, NHS Student Council, Montclair State University, Fordham University, local Nutley residents and NFSB volunteer team and Board members
- over 20,000 items were collected (surpassing last year's record of 17,000)
- it all happened in just over 6 hours
Additional donations are being received, and Nutley Family Service Bureau volunteers and counting and recounting the donations. They are also checking expiration dates of every item donated. These numbers will be updated.
Township residents who may have forgotten to place their donation out in time for pick up should call the telephone number on the bag so that a scout family can arrange a pick up. Residents who wish to drop off their donation directly can do so. NFSB asks that residents who wish to drop off at the annex should leave the donations on the covered back porch of the annex on Chestnut Street.
Full coverage of the scout food drive will continue on TAPinto Nutley this week.
TAPintoNutley.net is an online newspaper serving the Township of Nutley. TAPintoNutley.net is accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, and is the only locally owned news organization serving the community. Sign up for our FREE daily eNews and follow us on Facebook and Twitter @TAPintoNutley
Got a news tip or opinion? email us at Nutley@TAPinto.net