As I complete my third term as your Public Works Commissioner and my first term as your Mayor. I want to ask for your support in the upcoming election.
In the previous three campaigns, I ran on the platform of holding the line on taxes, preserving our neighborhoods, and maintaining our road, sewer, and water infrastructure. I am proud to say I have taken a common sense, hands-on approach to accomplishing these goals.
Holding THE Line on Taxes:
• Since taking office I have continually examined DPW spending and staffing. I am proud to report that the 2019 DPW budget is actually less today than that of 2011 with little to no effect on services offered.
• Obtained in excess of $10 million in grant money to upgrade our infrastructure offsetting valuable property tax dollars.
• Negotiated the complete re-pavement of roadways affected by the PSE&G gas main replacement project which resulted in valuable property tax dollar savings and allowing Township resources to repave additional roadways.
Preserving our Future:
• During my term as your Mayor, I worked tirelessly, along with my fellow commissioners to re-purpose the former Roche site with little to no adverse impact on our Township. Proudly, over the last 4 years the Hackensack/SHU School of Medicine, Ralph Lauren, Modern Meadow, Hackensack Meridian Center of Innovation and Discovery, and y-mAbs Therapeutics cancer laboratories have located to the ON3 site and call Nutley their home. What was once a shuttered campus has become a vibrant innovation hub with thousands of people populating the site, fueling our local economy and raising our property values.
• Together with my fellow commissioners, we successfully implemented necessary changes to our ordinances adding much needed zoning density requirements;
The departure of Hoffman-La Roche will continue to present many challenges for our Township over the coming years. Proven leadership is vital as we tackle these difficult issues ahead. I firmly believe my past experience as your mayor, DPW commissioner, former county freeholder, community volunteer, and healthcare professional have prepared me to continue to lead us into the next phase of our Township's history.
I am committed to making sure that Nutley remains a community both young and old can be proud to call home. However, to do that, I need your help and support. Please Vote, Joseph Scarpelli, 7A.
Together we can continue to make Nutley an extraordinary place to live, work, and raise a family. Nothing is more important. Thank you!