TRENTON, NJ – Gov. Phil Murphy declared Thursday that he’s “back on the field” and ready to resume in-person events after a self-imposed quarantine.
The surge of COVID-19 cases, however, also appears to be back.
In his COVID-19 media briefing, Murphy all but declared that the long-anticipated second wave of coronavirus cases had arrived.
“(The numbers) continue to show that the second wave of the coronavirus is no longer something off in the future,” he said. “It is coming, and it is coming in now.”
The state on Thursday reported 1,477 new cases of COVID-19 with a 1.25 rate of transmission.
It was the 12th straight day of more than 1,000 new positive tests in New Jersey.
There are 1,072 patients hospitalized, including 846 confirmed COVID-19 cases. There’s 226 people waiting for test results with suspected cases, and there’s 217 patients are in intensive care with 79 ventilators in use.
Health Commissioner Judy Persichilli reported eight additional deaths, bringing the statewide death toll to 14,539.
Murphy said many cases are linked to intimate gatherings and parties in homes.
"Get back to the level of vigilance you showed six months ago, so we can beat back this second wave," he said.
Murphy and First Lady Tammy Murphy went into quarantine last week just before an event in Camden after learning that deputy chief of staff Mike DeLamater tested positive for the coronavirus.
The governor’s office said DeLamater was in proximity of the Murphys for about 15 minutes Oct. 17 at the Pilsener Haus & Biergarten in Hoboken.
Murphy said he went into quarantine out of an abundance of caution, but never tested positive and never displayed symptoms.
Since 2016, TAPintoNutley.net has been the only locally owned news organization serving the Township of Nutley, and is a member of the New Jersey Press Association. The Nutley Board of Commissioners first named TAPintoNutley.net the township's 'Official Electronic News Source' in 2019.