NUTLEY, NJ - A new traffic signal is coming to the intersection of Franklin Ave. and Church St. as part of a $26.4 million federal grant from the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority. The announcement was made Monday by Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr., along with safety improvements at 39 intersections across the county.
“This funding supports infrastructure improvements to enhance safety for motorists and particularly pedestrians. The intersections identified for upgrades are along some of our most heavily traveled corridors,” said Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr., who is the County’s representative on the NJTPA Board of Trustees.
In addition to Franklin Ave., projects in and around Nutley include the intersection of Kingsland St., Darling Ave. and West Passaic Ave.; and the intersection of East Passaic Ave. and West Passaic Ave.
The projects include extending curbs and installing refuge islands, where feasible, to shorten crossing distances for pedestrians; and the installation of leading pedestrian interval signals, which stop traffic in all directions to allow people to cross more safely.
The project will be broken into two parts. The first project received $17 million for traffic and pedestrian signal upgrades at 25 intersections throughout the County, including leading pedestrian intervals, four new traffic signals, and curb-extensions and pedestrian refuge islands where feasible. The intersections are in Belleville, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, Millburn, Montclair, Nutley, Orange, South Orange, West Orange, Verona and Newark.
Intersections to be upgraded in the first project include the following:
1. South Orange Avenue and Prospect Avenue, South Orange
2. South Orange Avenue and Ridgewood Avenue, South Orange
3. Washington Street and Watchung Avenue, West Orange
4. Pleasant Valley Way and Woodland Avenue, West Orange
5. Washington Street and High Street, Orange
6. Fairview Avenue and Personette Avenue, Verona (New Signal).
7. Millburn Avenue and Vauxhall Road, Millburn
8. Franklin Street and Newark Avenue, Bloomfield
9. Franklin Street and Garden State Parkway Northbound Ramp, Bloomfield
10. Franklin Street and Garden State Parkway Southbound Ramp, Bloomfield
11. Franklin Street and Municipal Plaza/Montgomery Street, Bloomfield
12. West Passaic Avenue and Broad Street, Bloomfield
13. West Passaic Avenue and East Passaic Avenue, Bloomfield
14. Broad Street and MacLeod Lane, Bloomfield (New Signal)
15. Belleville Avenue and State Street, Bloomfield
16. Belleville Avenue and Broad Street, Bloomfield
17. West Passaic Avenue/Kingsland Street and Darling Avenue, Nutley
18. Springfield Avenue and South 17th Street, Newark (New Signal)
19. Rutgers Street and Cortlandt Street, Belleville
20. Valley Road and Normal Avenue, Montclair
21. Valley Road and Mount Hebron Road, Montclair
22. Watchung Avenue and Grove Street, Montclair
23. Watchung Avenue and Ridgewood Avenue, Glen Ridge
24. Franklin Avenue and Church Street/Booth Drive, Nutley (New Signal)
25. Irvington Avenue and Prospect Avenue, South Orange
The second project received $9.4 million for similar improvements to 14 intersections along two corridors — Valley Street in Maplewood and South Orange and Springfield Avenue in Irvington. This project also includes the installation of four new traffic signals.
The award was approved and announced at the NJTPA meeting on Monday, November 9. The grants are part of the NJTPA’s Local Safety Program.