Broward Sheriff's homicide detectives are investigating the deaths of two male housemates who died from exposure to carbon monoxide in Tamarac. 

Dispatch received a call just after 8 a.m. this morning advising of the smell of gas coming from the home of Michael Anthony Payson, 64, and Thomas J. Boyle, 72. When first responders arrived, they found Payson dead inside his car in the garage. Evidence from the scene indicates that Payson had used the fumes from his vehicle to kill himself. 

Payson had left a note indicating his intent and instructions for his roommate to notify his family. Inside the home, deputies discovered the body of Boyle and his dog.  Detectives believe that Boyle was attempting comply with his roommate's request when he and his dog were overcome by the gas.

Sign Up for E-News

Detectives believe that Boyle's death was not intended but was a result of fumes from the garage getting into the home. 

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Zachary Scott 954-321-4162. Reports can also be made anonymously to Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or online at browardcrimestoppers.org