EAST HANOVER, NJ - Today, March 13, 2020 has recorded the first confirmed case of the Cornovirus in East Hanover. According to East Hanover township officials:
The East Hanover Health Department, in conjunction with NJ Department of Health (NJDOH) has confirmed its first case of COVID-19 in East Hanover. To date, 29 cases of COVID-19 are confirmed in New Jersey and 1,323 cases have been identified in the United States.
Currently, there is no vaccination for COVID-19. The East Hanover Health Department is encouraging all residents to take simple precautions to protect themselves and others from respiratory illness:
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Limit close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid handshakes. Try an elbow bump.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you do not have a tissue, use your sleeve (not your hand).
- Get a flu shot to prevent the flu if you have not done so this season.
While the risk of infection to the general public remains low, should a person start showing symptoms of COV ID-19, which include fever, cough and shortness of breath, residents must contact their healthcare provider. Even though the risk is low, .People who have these symptoms should contact their healthcare provider prior to visiting the hospital or a healthcare setting.
Residents are asked to be cautious about rumors and some less-than-accurate reports about this virus. Keep informed by obtaining information from trusted and reliable sources, including the CDC, NJDOH, and their local health departments:
CDC's COVID-19 website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html
N.J. Department of Health COVID-19 website:
NJ COVID-19 Information Public Call Center: 1-800-222-1222.
Non-NJ cell phones, 1-800-962-1253.