The Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders recently awarded a $7,982,000 construction contract to H&S Construction and Mechanical of Elizabeth for the renovation and rehabilitation of the Historic Court House Annex in Paterson.
The county is repurposing the historic structure to house offices for the Passaic County Vicinage Family Probation Division.
In 2015, the Passaic County Court House Annex was placed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places. Completed in 1899, the Court House Annex was designed by master architects for the United States Department of Treasury, William Martin Aiken and James Knox Taylor and is an excellent example of Flemish Renaissance Revival style. The building was first used as a United States Post Office and in 1936 was rededicated as the Passaic County Administration Building. It has been closed to the public since 2011. The rehabilitation is being funded through the Passaic County Open Space, Farmland, and Historic Preservation Trust Fund.
Construction is expected to begin in the fall and should take approximately two years.