HACKENSACK, N.J. -- Nearly one week after city police sought the public’s help in identifying a woman who viciously shoved a 54-year-old woman inside a Staples who previously underwent liver transplant surgery and asked the assailant to wear her facial mask properly, police have made an arrest.

On Tuesday, City Detectives arrested Terri Thomas, a 25-year-old Hackensack resident, and charged her with aggravated assault, a second-degree crime. She is due in Central Judicial Municipal Court in Hackensack at the end of the month.  

"Detectives Demetrius Carroll, Ioannis Papanikolaou, and James Han, in particular, all did a fantastic job," said Detective Captain Darrin DeWitt in a news release. "I also thank the Hackensack Staples store and the Staples corporate office for their cooperation, which was crucial in solving the case. I must add, Staples' employees immediately called 911 and tended to the victim within seconds of the assault. Unfortunately, the video clip that was released ends just prior to them helping her.”

Sign Up for Passaic Valley Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Video surveillance at the Hackensack Avenue store captured the incident last Wednesday after 3 p.m. of Thomas walking up to the victim, Margot Kagan, and waving her finger at her.

According to police, Kagan, who underwent liver transplant surgery four months prior, had told Thomas to don her mask properly. Kagan is shown wearing a transparent shield and Thomas is seen with her mask lowered underneath her mouth. Video showed Thomas approach Kagan angrily.

To keep Thomas at a distance, Kagan is seen holding up her walking cane and pointing it towards Thomas’ chest, during which they briefly encircle each other. When Kagan puts her cane down, Thomas is seen grabbing her right arm and shoving her to the floor. Kagan bumped her head on a table before she landed on the ground a few feet from where she was standing at the copy machine.

Kagan told police she suffered a broken leg when she fell after she was transported to Hackensack University Medical Center for treatment.

Kagan told ABC News she plans to press charges.