Variety is the spice of life so try this succulent barbecue chicken dish from Chef Aquil Settles of Chilton Medical Center.
2 lb. chicken breast skinless (legs and wings work great too)
¼ cup olive oil
¾ cup of orange juice
¼ cup mustard
1 tbsp. orange peel
2 tbsp. butter, unsalted
¼ cup barbecue sauce
2 tbsp. honey
- In a large bowl, mix olive oil, half of the orange juice and half of the mustard. Add the chicken and mix again. Let marinate for one to two hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Drain the chicken from the marinade. Heat a frying pan with olive oil on medium and cook the chicken for two minutes in each side. Set it aside.
- To prepare a glaze: In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and add the honey, barbecue sauce, orange peel, remaining mustard and orange juice.
- Place the chicken in a rimmed sheet pan, brush it with the glaze, flip it again and save some glaze for serving.
- Bake the chicken in the oven at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Serve with the rest of the glaze.
This dish works well with a side of roasted vegetables.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories 551, Total fat 27g., Saturated fat 7g., Cholesterol 161mg., Sodium 337 mg., Potassium 569 mg., Total Carb 23g., Dietary Fiber 0g., Sugars 20 g., Protein 52g.
Whether you're managing a chronic condition or just trying to stay well, Atlantic Health System's registered dietitians can help you develop healthy eating habits that suit your lifestyle and your palate. To learn more, visit https://www.atlantichealth.org/conditions-treatments/nutrition-services.html