LITTLE FALLS, NJ - To anyone hoping to carry out a Craiglist or other online style transaction with a stranger, the Little Falls Police Department is here to help make that exchange a safe one.
Participants can now meet outside the Little Falls Police station or inside our lobby. There are two designated 15 minute parking spaces alongside the station nearest the Montclair Avenue entrance. These exchange locations are under 24/7 surveillance and available to all residents and visitors.
While available for you to use our station to complete your exchange in a safe environment, our personnel may not participate or act as official witnesses in the transactions nor are they available for legal advice or allowed to settle civil or pricing disputes between parties involved in transactions occurring at this location.
The idea of the "Safe Exchange Zone" is to cut down on potential fraud, theft, robberies, or violence that can be associated with these types of transactions. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind when conducting such transactions:
• Only do transactions with local buyers/sellers
• Do not go to a transaction alone
• Make sure a friend or family member is aware of the transaction details
• Insist on meeting in a public area like our “Safe Exchange Zone”
• Do not go into someone else’s house, and do not allow them into yours
• Complete the transaction during daylight hours
• Be extra cautious when buying or selling valuable items such as vehicles and jewelry
• Trust your instincts, if it sounds like a scam it probably is
• If someone is not willing to come to the police department to do a transaction it is probably not a legitimate transaction.