TOTOWA, NJ - The Borough of Totowa Public Library, 537 Totowa Rd., presents the following events. Call 973-790-3265 to register, or for further information.
- Local author, Linda D'Alessandro Lajterman, will tell the story of "Life after You," a real life story of the devastation and heartbreak of losing her son to drugs on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. A detailed and graphic journey through death from drugs and the aftermath for those left behind. This true and powerful wake up call for teens shows a different side of “partying,” one that has never been presented before. Light refreshments will be served. Reservations are suggested.
- There will be two movie matinees this month. On Wednesday, May 3, at 1 p.m. enjoy "Sully," staring Tom Hanks and Aron Eckhart. This biography/drama is rated PG-13 and runs 96 minutes. It is the story of Chesley Sullenberger, an American pilot who became a hero after landing his damaged plane on the Hudson River in order to save the flight's passengers and crew. On May 17 at 1 p.m. enjoy "Money Monster," staring George Clooney and Julia Roberts. This crime/drama thriller is rated R and runs 98 minutes. It is the story of a financial TV host Lee Gates and his producer Patty are put in an extreme situation when an irate investor takes over their studio. Light refreshments.
- The library is offering an "AARP Driver Safety Program” Saturday, May 13 from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (pack a bag lunch). Take the classroom refresher course, especially designed for drivers age 50 and over, and receive minimal fee auto insurance discounts in most states. Members fee - $15, non members fee - $20. Registration is suggested.
- The library is offering a SAT and ACT, "Q and A" hosted by Chris King from, Rock the Grade Tutoring and Marcia Kramer from, Solutions for your Future: Plan the Path, on Tuesday, May 16, at 7 p.m. Pre-registration is required; call Chris at 973-769-8203. Light refreshments.
- Enjoy the jazzy sounds of spring with a performance by Mike Luipersbeck and the All Star Trio, starring Mike Luipersbeck, Peter Greco and Ron Naspo on Sunday, May 21 at 2 p.m. Light refreshments. Registration is suggested.
- The library will host a free and informative workshop about creating balance and relieving anxiety on Tuesday, May 23, at 6:30 p.m. This workshop is designed to learn the impact of stress and anxiety on your body and simple, realistic ways to help you feel less stressed and more balanced and optimistic. Light refreshments.
- "Help! The World is Spinning!” will be held on Wednesday, May 24, at 12:15 p.m. This is a Lunch and Learn program will be presented by Suzanne Brain, physical therapist at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center, on maintaining vestibular balance in adults. Lunch and information packets will be provided. Seating is limited; registration is required.
- The library is reading "A Man Called Ove", by Fredrick Backman, for the May 2017 book group. Stepping from the pages of Fredrick Backman's international best-selling novel, Ove is the quintessential angry old man next door. What emerges is a heartwarming tale of unreliable first impressions and the gentle reminder that life is sweeter when it is shared. The evening discussion date is Thursday, May 25 at 6:30 p.m. and the afternoon discussion date is May 26, and 1:15 p.m. Light refreshments. Registration is suggested.