UNION, NJ – Union firefighters rescued an unconscious woman from a second floor window at a home fully engulfed in flames Sunday night.
A 911 call at about 6:15 Sunday night reported an odor of smoke inside a home on Hillside Avenue. Union’s Battalion 1 arrived first and notified all responding companies of a working fire on the first and second floors, said Union Fire Chief Mike Scanio. Upon walking to the back of the home, firefighters discovered the entire back of the home was on fire with a woman at a second-floor window calling for help.
Scanio said Battalion 1 called for a ground ladder to the rear of the home to facilitate the rescue. Members of Ladder 1 and Engine 2 put up the ladder, and two firefighters made entry through the window and found the woman, who was by then unconscious. Firefighters pulled her to the window and passed her out of the window to members of Engine 2. Scanio said the victim was brought down the ladder to awaiting EMS, and was transported to Saint Barnabas Medical Center’s Burn Center. As of Monday morning, the woman was listed in critical condition.
Another male victim self-extricated from the home as firefighters arrived. Scanio said the man was transported to Saint Barnabas for smoke inhalation.
The fire ultimately went to three alarms due to the rescue, the amount of fire and the weather conditions. The fire was brought under control in about 60 minutes. It is currently under investigation by the Union County Investigation Unit, but appears to be accidental at this time.