WOODLAND PARK, NJ - Mayor Keith Kazmark and the Borough Council recognized the American Legion Post #238 and its Auxiliary at the Borough Council meeting on May 22.
Post #238 was founded in 1919 when the American Legion was chartered by Congress as a patriotic organization devoted to mutual helpfulness, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to fellow service members.
Membership numbers more than 2.5 million men and women in over 14,000 posts worldwide.
Post #238 met monthly in the Borough’s original municipal building until the Borough donated land and the Post’s members constructed a building, after which a dedication ceremony was held in July 1972 at the site at 410 Mt. Pleasant Ave.
The American Legion Auxiliary (ALA) was chartered by Congress in 1919. Post’s #238 Auxiliary was organized in 1934 and chartered in 1935. The ALA has around 800,000 members in over 9,500 communities.
The Auxiliary’s aims and purposes are to participate in programs such as Girls State, Girls Nation, the Poppy program, the Veteran Affairs and Rehabilitation program, and the Americanism essay contest.
Auxiliary members volunteer at V.A. health care facilities while helping military families cope with multiple deployments and helping them get back on their feet.