For the sweetest corn, eat it as soon as possible after it’s picked. The sugar turns to starch as it ages. Until then, keep it in the husk in the fridge.
Once you’re ready to enjoy your corn, remove the husk and silk, wash it and try one of these easy ideas:
1. Sprinkle raw kernels over salad to add sweet crunch.
2. Boil the ears, uncovered, for 2 minutes in a big pot of water. Drain and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Add a tablespoon of sugar to the water, if you like, but don’t add salt — that will toughen the kernels.
3. Pan roast freshly cut kernels in a skillet with a little oil over medium-high heat, stirring, until it just starts to brown — about 10 minutes.
4. Stir roasted or raw kernels into salsa.
5. Steam it in the microwave: Wrap ears in wax paper and cook on high until tender, about 4 minutes per ear.
6. Wrap in foil and grill over direct heat, turning occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Did you know? There is one piece of silk on an ear of corn for every kernel, according to the New Jersey Department of Agriculture. Learn more about corn at JerseyFresh.com.
Sign up to get all the news as it happens at www.TAPinto.net/enews