PATERSON, NJ - Twenty law firms are vying for lucrative contracts to serve as the city’s outside legal counsel and to handle its workers’ compensation cases.
The city pays outside law firms on average more than $100,000 per month to handle various lawsuits and workers’ comp cases.
City officials are still in the process of evaluating the proposals from the various firms, including 19 seeking appointment as outside counsel for various legal matters and five vying for the workers’ comp contract. Four firms submitted proposals for both jobs.
The City Council may vote on the appointments at its meeting on Tuesday. But the contracts may get delayed if the administration has not finished formulating its recommendations on which firms should get the work.
Here’s a breakdown of the proposals for the outside counsel work:
- Joseph Wenzel of Clifton for $110 per hour.
- De Yoe, Heissenbuttel & Buglione of Wayne for $120 per hour.
- Sciro & Marotta of Paterson; Ruderman & Glickman of Springfield; and Jalloh & Jalloh of Cranford all proposed $125 per hour.
- Grieco, Oates & DeFilippo of West Orange; Adams, Stern, Gutierrez & Lattiboudere of Newark; Lite DePalma Greenberg of Newark; and Hardin, Kundla, McKeon & Poletto of Springfield proposed $125 per hour for state court matters and $135 for federal court.
- James P. Nolan & Associates of Woodbridge for $135 per hour.
- Scarinci & Hollenbeck of Lyndhurst for $145 per hour.
- Buttofuocco, Arce & Price of South Plainfield and Hunt, Hamlin & Ridley of Newark for $150 per hour.
- Shabazz & Associates of Newark and Chasan, Leyner & Lamparello of Secaucus for $150 per hour for attorneys and $75 per hour for other staff.
- Florio, Perrucci, Steinhardt & Fader of Phillipsburg for $150 per hour for attorneys and $80per hour for other staff.
- Schwartz, Simon, Edelstein & Celso of Whippany for $165 per hour for attorneys and $75 per hour for other staff.
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter of Newark for $175 per hour.
- Florio & Kenny of Hoboken for $17,500 oer matter until trial and $175 per hour per attorney during trial.
The six law firms that handled the work during the past year were Sciro & Marotta; Hunt, Hamlin & Ridley; Lite, DePalma & Greenberg; Adams, Stern, Gutierrez & Lattiboudere; Ruderman and Glickman; and DeVoe, Heissenbuttel & Buglione.
Here’s the breakdown on the workers’ compensation case proposals:
- The DeYoe firm for $82.50 per hour
- Glazer & Kamel of Elizabeth for $125 per hour
- The Scarinci firm for $145 per hour
- The Buttafuoco firm and the Florio & Kenny firm for $150 per hour.
Last year, the DeYoe and Hunt firms handled the workers’ comp cases.