PATERSON, NJ- An afternoon fire left a Paterson home uninhabitable on Monday.
According to Paterson Fire Department officials, crews responded to the 2 and half story wood frame home at 39 Richmond Avenue and found heavy flames in the basement and smoke throughout. While firefighters initially entered the structure to extinguish the fire from the inside they encountered a partition wall which prevented them from gaining the necessary entry.
The responding crews managed to knock the fire down from the outside of the home, with only minimum spreading to the first floor.
Firefighters rescued a dog that was in the home and administered oxygen in an ambulance on the scene before returning the pet back over to his owners.
“I would like to thank our brave and amazing fire fighters for their quick action in subduing the fire,” Second Ward Councilman Shahin Khalique said in Facebook post praising them for their rapid response. “Let’s all please come together and thank the brave members of our fire department,” he urged.