PATERSON, NJ - A previously announced plan to furlough city employees beginning on October 2 will not be necessary, Mayor Andre Sayegh announced in a memo reviewed by TAPinto Paterson Friday. Sayegh said that the decision, made possible “because of assertive actions to limit spending during spring and summer, as well as positive revenue collection” came with “tremendous relief.”

The initial plan to furlough some employees was shared with Union leaders in May and June, and submitted to the NJ Civil Service Commission on July 1, a point in time, Sayegh said, that city officials were unaware of how FY20 would close out and what level of tax collections would be achieved during the FY20 transition year. Impacted by the COVID pandemic, both appear to be trending positively, he said. 

Welcoming the news was Paterson City Council Vice President Dr. Lilisa Mimms who shared her belief that Paterson’s 2,000 employees have “lost enough to COVID-19” and she is grateful they will not now lose work or pay. “Our employees, residents, and city deserve a better Paterson.”

Sign Up for Paterson Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

 

Follow us on Facebook and sign up for TAPinto Paterson E-News alerts to be the first to read about all things Paterson!

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS for breaking news, traffic/weather alerts and special offers.

Know a story we should share with readers? Email editor Steve Lenox and tell him about it.