PATERSON, NJ - PSE&G offers simple ways to stay cool, safe and save energy during the high heat and humidity days of late summer.
- Use a programmable thermostat to set air conditioners to your daily and weekend activities. Consider setting air conditioners to 78 degrees, health permitting. Conduct clean up maintenance on your filters before using the appliance.
- Close blinds, shades and draperies facing the sun to keep our brightest star out and help fans and air conditioners cool more efficiently.
- Use ceiling fans set in the counter-clockwise position to feel cool when in a room.
- Close doors leading to uncooled parts of your home. With central air, close off vents to unoccupied rooms.
- Turn off every appliance not being used: TVs, computers, etc. Use dimmers, timers and motion detectors on indoor as well as outdoor lighting.
- Delay heat-producing tasks such as washing and drying laundry or dishes in hot water until later in the day, and wait until load is full.
- Refrain from using nonessential appliances. Unplug or use only when necessary an extra refrigerator or freezer in your garage.
- If you should lose power, never use a portable generator inside your home or in close proximity to a home, office area or enclosed space. Proper ventilation is required. Improper use of it can produce deadly carbon monoxide (CO), and odorless, tasteless gas that could be fatal.