PATERSON, NJ - In a prepared statement Paterson Public Safety Director Jerry Speziale announced that 30 arrests had been made in a crime suppression operation that saturated the City of Paterson with federal, state, county and local law enforcement officials over the weekend.
The number is an increase from the 25 arrests Speziale mentioned earlier in a Facebook Live video with Mayor Andre Sayegh.
The arrests, Speziale said, also led to the removal of five semi-automatic handguns and three high capacity magazines from the streets. 939 glassines of suspected heroin, 889 grams of suspected marrjuana, and 273 grams of suspected crack-cocaine were also confiscated, Speziale added.
Among those arrested were two escapees from state halfway houses.
The effort, including air support, came just a week after two separate incidents which left both a 43-year-old delivery driver and 13-year-old boy dead in under 48 hours.
Speziale said the operation was not aimed at being "heavy handed" but rather launched to “prevent crime before it occurred.”
"Our special operation was a success," Sayegh said. "I am proud of the work perform by our police department and law enforcement partners. We will not rest until Paterson is a safer city.'
“We are going to continue to grow from this to make Paterson safer together,” Speziale said, reiterating comments made to TAPinto Paterson earlier in the day that more police officers on the streets will keep crime down.
The crimes prevented, the career law enforcement official said in concluding the video, were not “minor ones,” and included burglaries at Park East Terrace.
On Monday, October 7, members of the Paterson City Council met in an emergency meeting to discuss the uptick in violence and at the bodies regular meeting Wednesday more than 15 residents spoke out calling for more action to reduce violence in the city.
Know a story we should share with readers? Email editor Steve Lenox and tell him about it.