PATERSON, NJ - The death of Paterson man Jameek Lowery was accidental, a result of cardiac arrest brought on by the use of bath salts, Passaic County Prosecutor Camelia M. Valdes announced Monday.

According to a statement by Valdes the investigation, which included conducting witness interviews, reviewing surveillance videos, police reports, 911 call recordings, radio transmissions, relevant medical documentation, providing records to, and reviewing them with, the State of New Jersey Office of the Medical Examiner and consulting with the State of New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, concluded that police use of force played no role in the January 7 death.

Valdes’ statement recounted the already reported on build up to the man’s passing, including an initial call to 911 at 2:45 a.m. on January 5 during which he stated that he had ingested ecstasy and was paranoid. After being taken to the hospital by a Paterson Fire Department ambulance for treatment Lowery was, the statement said, “escorted from the hospital by security personnel after behaving erratically.” 

Sign Up for Paterson Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

While being transported home “with an acquaintance” in a private cab Lowery is said to have exited the vehicle through the window and begin running towards the Paterson Police Headquarters.

Lowery made a second 911 call at 3:42 a.m. reporting that someone was trying to kill him in the area of Broadway and Memorial Drive, appearing three minute later in the lobby of Police Headquarters.

Once inside Lowery began to broadcast via Facebook Live during which time he stated that he believed the police were trying to kill him, again calling 911. In response to Lowery’s actions, Paterson Police requested the Paterson Fire Department Emergency Medical Services respond to police headquarters to transport him to the hospital for treatment.

The report states that once inside the ambulance Lowery became “resistant” and “physically combative,” causing the accompanying officers to “use compliance holds to secure him to the gurney.” Officers are said to have struck Lowery several times with their fists to gain control and secure his wrists before being able to secure him to the gurney.

Lowery is said to have lost consciousness after arriving at  St. Joseph’s Hospital and was pronounced dead in the early morning hours of January 7.

This is a developing story.