PATERSON, NJ - A crime suppression operation that saturated the City of Paterson with federal, state, county and local law enforcement officials over the weekend “unleashed the power of many to do what none could do alone,” Public Safety Director Jerry Speziale said in a Facebook video with Mayor Andre Sayegh on Monday.
The effort, including air support, came just a week after two separate incidents which left both a 43-year-old delivery driver and 13-year-old boy dead in under 48 hours.
Speziale said the operation was not aimed at being "heavy handed" but rather launched to “prevent crime before it occurred.”
Prompted by Sayegh, Speziale announced that 25 arrests had been made, five guns taken off the streets, and more than 1,000 other violations issued.
“We are going to continue to grow from this to make Paterson safer together,” Speziale said, reiterating comments made to TAPinto Paterson earlier in the day that more police officers on the streets will keep crime down.
Included in the arrests, Speziale reported, was a fugitive wanted for shooting at police, whom he said escaped over a year ago. The suspect, Speziale said, was found with a “large capacity weapon.”
The crimes prevented, the career law enforcement official said in concluding the video, were not “minor ones,” and included burglaries at Park East Terrace.
On Monday, October 7, members of the Paterson City Council met in an emergency meeting to discuss the uptick in violence and at the bodies regular meeting Wednesday more than 15 residents spoke out calling for more action to reduce violence in the city.
Know a story we should share with readers? Email editor Steve Lenox and tell him about it.