PISCATAWAY, NJ – In response to the recent violent white nationalist protests, Piscataway Mayor Brian C. Wahler, along with over 250 mayors from the US Conference of Mayors and the Anti-Defamation League announced a bipartisan compact to denounce discrimination and injustice, and to promote inclusion in their communities.
According to a Wednesday news release, the Mayors’ Compact to Combat Hate, Extremism and Bigotry calls “for mayors to use the bully pulpit to speak out against racism, extremism, xenophobia, white supremacy and all forms of bigotry and hate crimes while investing in programs and training to promote inclusion and build trust across communities.”
“We are being challenged again and again with extremism views and violent bigotry and we must not permit those individuals who hold such views to succeed,” said Wahler.
The compact is centered around 10 principles and states that “mayors and their cities must continue to be a beacon for inclusion, tolerance, and respect for all. We will continue to create stronger cultures of kindness and compassion in our communities, and expect our federal and state partners to join us in this endeavor.”
The 10 principles:
- Expressly Rejecting Extremism, White Supremacy and All Forms of Bigotry
- Denouncing All Acts of Hate Wherever They Occur
- Ensuring Public Safety While Protecting Free Speech and Other Basic Constitutional Rights
- Calling for Fully-Resourced Law Enforcement and Civil Rights Investigations of Domestic Terrorism and Hate Crimes
- Elevating and Prioritizing Anti-Bias and Anti-Hate Programs in Our Nations’ Schools
- Supporting Targeted Communities and Bringing Together Civic and Community Leaders to Build Trust
- Celebrating Diversity, Promoting Inclusivity and Challenging Bias
- Promoting Law Enforcement Training on Responding to and Reporting Hate Incidents, Hate Crimes and Domestic Terrorism
- Encouraging Residents in their Communities to Report Hate incidents and Crimes, including Using Hot Lines and Online Tools.
- Maintaining Civil Rights Enforcement and Strengthening Hate Crime Laws When Necessary
Businesses: Advertise with TAPinto Piscataway. Click here for more information.