PISCATAWAY, NJ – The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for Thursday between midnight and 4:00 p.m. as a heavy band of snow passes through the Piscataway area, with accumulations ranging from 6-10 inches.
Due to the anticipated weather conditions, all township schools will be closed on Thursday, Feb. 9th.
According to a weather alert on the Piscataway Township Schools’ website, “All activities, events and meetings are cancelled. Before and after care are also closed. We realize that any adjustments to your child’s schedule can be a hardship for your family, but the safety of our students and staff must be our primary consideration.”
The Piscataway Police issued an on-street parking ban from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday until Friday at 7:00 a.m. for snow removal operations.
“Any vehicle parked in violation of this restriction will be ticketed or removed by towing at the owner or operator's expense,” the police stated in a release. “Due to the impending winter weather and the possibility of a significant snow fall, you must remove all vehicles from the road way to aid in the plowing and to allow for the passage of emergency vehicles.”
The release included a few other snow reminders:
- Township Ordinance prohibits parking on any street during a snow event; this is to ensure that we can safely and efficiently operate our snow removal equipment. Enforcement will occur for non-compliance.
- Please remove any other obstacles on the street such as basketball systems, garbage cans, recycling cans, and anything that can affect snow plowing services.
- Please shovel out any fire hydrants in front of your house.
- Please clear a path to your front door in the event that emergency workers need to access your residence.
- Please understand that due to continuous snow plowing operations on the roadway, the bottom portion of your driveway may have to be cleaned several times. The snow plows will be making numerous passes on the roadways and may affect any snow shoveling you may have completed.
- We ask for the public’s cooperation in not placing or depositing any snow or ice into or upon any township street during snow removal operations.
- The gusty winds will have the potential to bring down tree limbs and power lines. Be prepared for the possibility of power outages and loss of heat. Please use care if you need the use of a generator.
- REPORTING POWER OUTAGES:
- Charge up electronic devices ahead of time and be sure to have a flashlight, portable radio and batteries.
- Check on elderly neighbors and relatives, especially in the event of a power outage.
Businesses: Advertise with TAPinto Piscataway. Click here for more information.