Junior Library Assistant
Posted March 9, 2020
Piscataway Public Library - User Services Department – Part-Time
Under general direction of Supervisor of User Services, performs routine circulation functions and provides excellent customer service.
Essential Functions of the Job
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Charging/renewing/discharging materials in an automated system
- Entering and updating library cards in an automated system
- Handling issues with overdues and other account information
- Handling money through accepting fines and fees
- Handling incoming reserves and pulling expired holds
- Answering the phone and responding to directional questions
- Understanding and following established library policy and procedures
Requirements of the Position
- High School Diploma or possession of an approved High School Equivalency Certificate
- Some knowledge of clerical methods and practices, and the use of office equipment
- Ability to understand, remember, and carry out oral and written directions
- Ability to communicate courteously and clearly with customers and staff
- Ability to learn routine operations of computer equipment
- Knowledge of Windows environment, basic typing and mouse operation, use of email and standard office computer programs
- The ability to stand, sit, walk, and stoop in provision of library service
- The ability to handle, reach for and carry materials up to 20 lbs.
- Dexterity to operate keyboards and other office equipment
- Visual acuity to read print and computer screens
- Vocal ability to communicate clearly and courteously
- The ability to write clearly and effectively
- Hearing to perceive information at normal spoken word levels
- The ability to travel between libraries
Typically 8-15 hours per week, including three evenings (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) from 5-9pm and alternating Saturdays on a rotation.
Pay Rate: $18.65 per hour
Send cover letter and resume by email to Kathryn Medvecky, Supervisor of User Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Drug screening and criminal background check are required before beginning employment. Equal opportunity employer.