SOMERSET, NJ - A 19-year-old local man is dead, a 70-year old man was shot, four suspects are arrested and one suspect remains at large following three separate shootings, according to a news release from Somerset County Prosecutor Michael H. Robertson. 

Samaad Frazier, was found by police responding to a 9-1-1 call suffering from gunshot wounds in a vehicle near a residence on Churchill Avenue on Tuesday, according to police. Responding officers "immediately" performed 1st aid to Frazier who was transported to an area trauma center "where he subsequently succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced deceased."  

Police also found an unidentified 70-year-old man on King Road, suffering from a gunshot wound to his leg, following a Tuesday 9-1-1 call. 

Sign Up for Piscataway Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Police responded to the first shooting on Monday at approximately 4:40 am after a 9-1-1 call reported multiple shots fired into a residence on Barker Road, according to Robertson. Responding officers found spent shell casings outside on the street along with damage to the residence, according to Robertson.  

"At the time of the shooting, a resident was inside the house but was not injured by the gunfire," Robertson said. "Detectives from the Franklin Township Police Department along with detectives from the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crimes Unit, and the Crime Scene Investigations Unit responded to conduct the investigation."

Police responded to the second shooting on Tuesday following two 9-1-1 calls at approximately 2:27 am and 2:29 am reporting multiple shots fired on King Road. The second call reported a 70-year-old male resident being shot. The unidentified man was transported to the hospital and later released, according to Robertson. 

The fatal shooting of Frazier took place on Churchill Avenue on Tuesday at approximately 3:26 am, according to Robertson. A post-mortem examination is scheduled to be performed by the New Jersey Northern Regional Medical Examiner’s Office to determine the cause and manner of death.

Officers responding to the Churchill Avenue shooting observed vehicle of interest fleeing at a high rate of speed on Hamilton Street and Berry Street, according to Robertson.  Police pursued the vehicle which continued to flee from police and eventually crashed at the intersection of Easton Avenue and Oakland Avenue, according to Robertson. 

"The five occupants inside the suspect vehicle fled on foot in different directions with Franklin Officers initiating foot pursuit of the suspects," Robertson said. "One of the occupants was captured fleeing the vehicle by a Franklin Township detective and Franklin Patrol Officers."

Gavin M. Owens-Jones, 18, of Barker Road, was the suspect captured and police say he was armed with a semi-automatic handgun.  Police ordered Owens-Jones to drop his weapon, which he did, and he was taken into custody, according to Robertson.  

"Two additional suspects were taken into custody by police as they attempted to flee the scene on foot," Robertson said. "They were identified as Jeffrey J. Grant Jr., age 19, Culver Street, and a sixteen-year-old Somerset male juvenile identified as I.S."   

Police arrested a 16-year-old fourth suspect identified as T.H., on Wednesday without incident, according to Robertson. 

"The investigation into the identity and whereabouts of the fifth suspect remains on-going by detectives assigned to the investigation," Robertson said. "The circumstances as they relate between all three shootings and a possible motive remains active."

Owens-Jones was charged with first-degree murder, second-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, and fourth-degree eluding by flight.  Defendant Jeffrey Grant was charged with first-degree murder, and fourth-degree eluding by flight.  Defendants Owens-Jones and Grant were lodged at the Somerset County Jail pending a bail detention hearing.  Juvenile I.S. was charged with fourth-degree eluding and released to a family member pending a family court appearance.  Juvenile T.H. was charged with first-degree murder and lodged at the Middlesex County Youth Detention Center pending a family court appearance.  

Robertson thanked the FTPD and SCPO along with the New Brunswick Police Department, Rutgers Police Department, Bound Brook Police Department K-9 Unit, and the New Jersey State Police Aviation Unit for making the arrest. 

Prosecutor Robertson and Chief Fodor request anyone with information relating to these shootings or the homicide to contact the Somerset County Prosecutors Office Major Crimes Unit at (908) 231-7100 or the Franklin Township Police Department at (732) 873-5533 or via the STOPit app. The STOPit app allows citizens to provide anonymous reports including videos and photos. STOPit can be downloaded to your smart phone for free at the Google Play Store or Apple App Store, access code: SOMERSETNJ. Information can also be provided through the Somerset County Crime Stoppers’ Tip Line at 1-888-577-TIPS (8477). All anonymous STOPit reports and Crime Stopper tips will be kept confidential.