PISCATAWAY, NJ – Looks like the Piscataway area has to brace for another nor’easter starting tonight.
On Tuesday afternoon, the Piscataway Police sent a winter storm warning alert with the following reminders for residents:
"The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for our area effective 7 PM this evening until 3 AM Thursday. Heavy snow is forecast. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 8 inches are expected.
"We are reminding all our residents that Township Ordinance prohibits parking on any street during a snow event; this is to ensure that Public Works can safely and efficiently operate snow removal equipment. Enforcement will occur for non-compliance.
"Therefore, we are informing our residents that a 36-hour street parking ban will be in effect starting at midnight tonight and ending on Thursday at Noon.
"Light rain and light snow will start late this afternoon and especially this evening, then change to mostly snow tonight and continue Wednesday. There may be a period where snow mixes with sleet and rain during the day Wednesday, especially closer to Interstate 95, but will primary fall as a heavy, wet snow with snowfall rates of up to 1 inch per hour. The heaviest snow should fall from midday Wednesday into Wednesday evening.
"Plan on difficult travel conditions, including during the evening commute on Wednesday. Be prepared for significant reductions in visibility at times. Wind gusts up to 35 mph are possible. With this being a heavy, wet snow, it is likely that trees and power lines could be brought down from the weight of the accumulating snow, resulting in power outages.
- Once again...Township Ordinance prohibits parking on any street during a snow event; this is to ensure that we can safely and efficiently operate our snow removal equipment. Enforcement will occur for non-compliance.
- Please remove any other obstacles on the street such as basketball systems, garbage cans, recycling can, and anything that can affect snow plowing services.
- Please shovel out any fire hydrants in front of your house.
- Please clear a path to your front door in the event that emergency workers need to access your residence.
- Please understand that due to continuous snow plowing operations on the roadway the bottom portion of your driveway may have to be cleaned several times. The snow plows will be making numerous passes on the roadways and may affect any snow shoveling you may have completed.
- The gusty winds will have the potential to bring down tree limbs and power lines. Be prepared for the possibility of power outages and loss of heat. Please use care if you need the use of a generator.
- REPORTING POWER OUTAGES: PSEG 1-800-436-7734
- Charge up electronic devices ahead of time and be sure to have a flashlight, portable radio and batteries.
- Check on elderly neighbors and relatives, especially in the event of a power outage.
"Please monitor your local media and news outlets."
TAPintoPiscataway.net is an online newspaper serving the Township of Piscataway.
Businesses: Advertise with TAPinto Piscataway. Click here for more information.