FANWOOD, NJ -- Sunday, July 16, is National Ice Cream Day!
In observance, Rocko's Ice Cream in Fanwood will sample its newest flavors and will also offer one free topping or a free slushy with any ice cream purchase.
"National Ice Cream Day is a major holiday at Rocko's," says Brandon Watterson, manager of Rocko's, which recently celebrated its first anniversary on July 1. "We've got a lot of great new flavors that people really seem to like. It will be a fun day on Sunday."
In 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday of the month as National Ice Cream Day. He recognized ice cream as a "fun and nutritious food that is enjoyed by over 90 percent of the nation's population." In the proclamation, President Reagan called for all people of the United States to observe these events with "appropriate ceremonies and activities."
Fun Facts about Ice Cream (source: IceCream.com)
- The waffle cone debuted at the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904.
- The world's tallest ice cream cone was over 9 feet tall (it was scooped in Italy).
- Most of the vanilla used to make ice cream comes from Madagascar.
- Chocolate syrup is the world's most popular topping.
- It takes three gallons of milk to make one gallon of ice cream
- The average American eats 48 pints of ice cream annually.
- Vanilla is the number one flavor in the U.S.
Editor's Note: Rocko's Ice Cream is an advertiser of TAPintoSPF .