PLAINFIELD, NJ - The second listening session in the Plainfield Vision 2025 series brought out members of the community Monday night to discuss Childhood and Youth Education. Residents engaged with one another, and brainstormed on how to move the district forward for the benefit of the children.
Breakout groups considered ideas pertaining to Programs, Access, Leadership, Curriculum and After Care. Some of the feedback presented by representatives from the groups included:
- the need for more Spanish-speaking and bi-lingual students to be taught a broader range of classes
- the development of a curriculum for parents on how to prepare their children for school
- the growth in voter turnout for school Board elections
- the necessity of a long-term Superintendent and a functioning school Board
- the creation of a marketing campaign for the district to build Plainfield pride, by broadcasting commercials, hosting neighborhood get-togethers, and involving block associations to get involved
- the involvement of alumni who can share success stories with students, and the ability to tap into alumni networks for jobs and mentors
Eric Jones, who represents approximately 1,000 district employees as President of the PEA, said, "It was exciting to be a part of a conversation about education in our community that didn't involve familiar faces, and that involved a variety of stakeholders. One was an eighty-two year old woman, and one just moved into the community a year ago, equally vested into the future success of our kids."
The next listening session will focus on Public Safety, and will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 27th.
- Public Safety:
- Sept. 27, 7:00 pm, Plainfield High School, 950 Park Avenue
- Oct. 12, 7:00 pm, Cook School at 739 Leland Avenue
- Oct. 16, 7:00 pm, Washington Community School at 427 Darrow Avenue
- Economic Development & Vibrancy - Oct. 3, 7:00 pm, Calvary Baptist Church at 324 Monroe Ave
- Workforce Development & Adult Learning - Oct. 17, 7:00 pm, Washington Community School, 427 Darrow Avenue
- Connecting Community/Community Arts & Culture - Oct. 23, 7:00 pm, duCret School of Art, 1030 Central Avenue
- Municipal Government & Essential Services Performance - Oct. 25, 7:00 pm, Plainfield Library at 800 Park Avenue
- Plainfield Vision 2025 Community Playback - Nov. 4, 10:00 am, Plainfield High School at 950 Park Avenue
You can follow along on Facebook @PlainfieldVision2025.